At Tunstead, we value reading as a key life skill and are dedicated to enabling our pupils to not only achieve academically but also to have a lifelong love of books and take pleasure from reading. To ensure we teach reading successfully we implement the following across the whole school:
- Children take part in daily Guided Reading sessions. For EYFS and Year 1 pupils this is during phonic sessions with some reading of a real text. In Year 2, children are taught Guided Reading through a carousel of activities. In Years 3 - 6 children take part in whole class Guided Reading sessions.
- Each child from Reception to Year 6 has access to the school library or class readers and can take a book home to share with family.
- Each classroom has a reading area which contains a selection of books which are changed regularly. A selection of books are directly linked to the class topic; this offers opportunities for children to apply their reading skills across the curriculum.
- Children are read to each day by their class teacher; some of the choices during this time will come from the class recommended text list.
- Children who are not yet free readers will work through our school reading scheme. These books are levelled books that match the child’s current reading age.
- Reading is part of homework which is set weekly. Children are required to read and add comments to their reading records. There is clear guidance about the type of comments expected.
- Children in EYFS and KS1 will have daily, discreet phonics sessions. These sessions follow the phases of letters and sounds, blending for reading and segmenting for spelling is covered. They also look at reading focus phonemes within the context of real books.
- All EYFS children take home a new story sack every week.
It is our intention that children leave Tunstead as fluent readers with a passion for knowledge and a love of literature. We aim for them to be able to confidently discuss an author’s use of language for effect and be able to understand different genres and texts.